Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Luke 15.11-22

"11To illustrate the point further, Jesus told them this story: “A man had two sons. 12 The younger son told his father, ‘I want my share of your estate now before you die.’ So his father agreed to divide his wealth between his sons.
13 “A few days later this younger son packed all his belongings and moved to a distant land, and there he wasted all his money in wild living. 14 About the time his money ran out, a great famine swept over the land, and he began to starve. 15 He persuaded a local farmer to hire him, and the man sent him into his fields to feed the pigs. 16 The young man became so hungry that even the pods he was feeding the pigs looked good to him. But no one gave him anything.
17 “When he finally came to his senses, he said to himself, ‘At home even the hired servants have food enough to spare, and here I am dying of hunger! 18 I will go home to my father and say, “Father, I have sinned against both heaven and you, 19 and I am no longer worthy of being called your son. Please take me on as a hired servant.”’
20 “So he returned home to his father. And while he was still a long way off, his father saw him coming. Filled with love and compassion, he ran to his son, embraced him, and kissed him. 21 His son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against both heaven and you, and I am no longer worthy of being called your son.

22 “But his father said to the servants, ‘Quick! Bring the finest robe in the house and put it on him. Get a ring for his finger and sandals for his feet. 23 And kill the calf we have been fattening. We must celebrate with a feast, 24 for this son of mine was dead and has now returned to life. He was lost, but now he is found.’ So the party began." -Luke 15.11-22


In all actuality... nothing else really needs to be said. Read the passage. That was me. Absolutely.

I used to hate hearing about the Prodigal Son story. I'd screw up here and there and come back to Jesus and suddenly I'd be just like "The Prodigal Son! The Prodigal Son!" I didn't even know the full weight of it until this time.

I was away for nearly two years. It's as if before I left I had asked God for his inheritance for me (aka, still attending the church, receiving prayer, giving worship, etc etc) and after receiving it, I took it and ran with it. I spent away all God had given me (not to mention physical money as well!) on a "wild lifestyle". Thank the LORD, I still haven't touched a single drug a day in my life, but the things that I did get into weren't any better. Sex sex sex. Drinking drinking drinking. Lying lying lying. Depression depression depression. Loneliness loneliness loneliness. Need I go on and on and on?

I finally reached the physical point where I had literally waisted away my cash, my networks, my body... (Ill get into THAT one in the post that will follow)

But I was NEVER too far away from God. Just like the Prodigal Son, when he returned, his father was already planning a party for him when he merely saw him walking in the distance. For all the father knew, he could have just been returning for more money. But it didn't matter to the father. Just to see him anyway(and I also believe that the father's spirit knew why he was returning but that's besides the point).

That's what it's like with God. He wanted me back with a burning passion and he could hardly stand it from excitement when he saw me coming back from the distance. But this weekend I had my party with the Lord. And I expect many many more after!

Lord Jesus,
Be with me today! I'm so so in love with you, I can hardly stand it. I thank you for welcoming me back with open arms. That no matter what I'd done, I was never too far away to come running back. You never cease to amaze me. Keep me close to your heart ALWAYS! And I name today VICTORIOUS! xoxoxxo

amen.

1 comment:

  1. That is how a mother feels also. It doesn't matter why she is getting to see her child. It is just too important to be able to see them coming home.

    ReplyDelete