Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Deuteronomy 7.12-16

" 12 If you pay attention to these laws and are careful to follow them, then the LORD your God will keep his covenant of love with you, as he swore to your forefathers. 13 He will love you and bless you and increase your numbers. He will bless the fruit of your womb, the crops of your land—your grain, new wine and oil—the calves of your herds and the lambs of your flocks in the land that he swore to your forefathers to give you. 14 You will be blessed more than any other people; none of your men or women will be childless, nor any of your livestock without young. 15 The LORD will keep you free from every disease. He will not inflict on you the horrible diseases you knew in Egypt, but he will inflict them on all who hate you. 16 You must destroy all the peoples the LORD your God gives over to you. Do not look on them with pity and do not serve their gods, for that will be a snare to you. "

I love God's promises. Those are ones you can trust. How many times has someone made you a promise and you either a) put your full trust in them and they end up letting you down. Or b) never trust that person and their word to begin with?

Usually B is an outcome if A had ever happened to you. It's sort of human nature to put our defenses up when we've been hurt. That's not necessarily a bad thing. But God... has never once let ANYONE (not just me) down. People may think at times that he had. You lose a family member, you lose your job, etc etc. But if they ever let their emotions get out of the way and actually look at the situation, they'd see the truth behind it... God didn't do it. But he allowed it to happen for your own potential to grow.

But when you put your trust in God's promises, there's no need for walls. I know it's difficult at times, but there's ultimately freedom in that, in the end...

So yes, this devotion is about God's promise, but it's also about trusting in God.

Lord,
I trust you. Even as things don't seem to fit together yet, and I see no way how it would work, I don't need to. I only see life through a box. You are outside of that box. So roads and paths that will lead to your promises, I may not see right away. I thank you that I can trust to trust you. Holy Spirit, be with me today as I search for a job. Lead me in the right direction so I may find the job you want me to have. Whatever it might be. I love you. I trust you.

amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment