Friday, February 27, 2009

1st Corinthians 12.25-31

" 25-26The way God designed our bodies is a model for understanding our lives together as a church: every part dependent on every other part, the parts we mention and the parts we don't, the parts we see and the parts we don't. If one part hurts, every other part is involved in the hurt, and in the healing. If one part flourishes, every other part enters into the exuberance.
27-31You are Christ's body—that's who you are! You must never forget this. Only as you accept your part of that body does your "part" mean anything. You're familiar with some of the parts that God has formed in his church, which is his "body": apostles prophets teachers miracle workers healers helpers organizers those who pray in tongues.But it's obvious by now, isn't it, that Christ's church is a complete Body and not a gigantic, unidimensional Part? It's not all Apostle, not all Prophet, not all Miracle Worker, not all Healer, not all Prayer in Tongues, not all Interpreter of Tongues. And yet some of you keep competing for so-called "important" parts. "

-The Message

I find these verses to be SO true at my church, specifically. At Northwest, it's just a church full of REAL people, not trying to mask that they are dealing with REAL issues, and quick to celebrate when God does a REAL miracle in their lives. But that's not it. The entire church celebrates with them! It's really showing how we really ARE the body of Christ. When one part is hurting, the rest hurts. When one is celebrating, the rest celebrates!

I was asking my sister, however, about where each person's part is if we are all called to be Leaders at NWC. "Wouldn't that make all of us a 'head' as opposed to one being a head, one a foot, one a hand, etc etc?" And she explained it to me in a way that I now understand.

She said, "We are called to be disciples, that's even from Jesus. But he's given us different gifts to make that possible. One has a gift of teaching, one has a gift of helping. The one with a gift of teaching, it might be easier for them to get a cell group and get members than the one who's a helper, but even though the helper may have to work harder for their cell, they still have a gift to give in their walk. They will raise up more helpers, so on and so forth." That made it a little easier for me to understand.

I love how God chooses to bless us. I was talking (again) with Freedom last night just about how God is SO SO BIG... he doesn't NEED our help to get things done here on earth. Make sure you hear that... HE DOESN'T NEED OUR HELP... but he CHOSE us to help. He CHOSE us to take a part in his process. He's invited us into his life. He's decided to bless us. You hear that joke sometimes between people "Oh, thank you for gracing us with your presence..." But it's the truth with God! He seriously graces us with his presence. He blesses us with a glimpse of what he's doing. None of this is for me. If he chose to make me a teacher, a miracle worker, a helper, whatever!- I'm happy with it, not wishing I was something else, because it's not about me. God has seen me, for whatever reason, most effective as that one thing, not something else, and I'm merely a tool in what GOD is doing... It's not about me. That's a huge weight off your shoulders when you think about it. Thank GOD it's not about me... that's a LOT of work to get done in my own strength and quite honestly, I don't think it would even be possible. THAT'S why it's a relief. I don't need to worry about "always trying to make God happy".

I used to be like that, thinking that nothing was ever good enough for God, for people, and all that did was just bring me down, wear me out, until finally I fell away. Thank GOD I've learned the difference between trying to do it on my own, thinking all this weight was supposed to be on my shoulders, and realizing it's God who does it as long as I'm a willing vessel.

Jesus,
I thank you for my giftings you've given me. As much as I may love other people's giftings, I thank you that I'm not those, but instead, the specific ones you have given to me. This is where you find me most effective for YOUR glory, for YOUR kingdom. You truly are beautiful, most creative, and in control of everything, and I thank you for that. Thank you for calling me to be a part of what YOU are doing. I stand with both arms open and shouting a very loud "Use me"! Probably the only time I'll be okay with being used, haha. You are amazing. I love you so so much. Holy Spirit, hang out with me today. I ask for your creativity to inspire me as I finish up this post production for the next Diaries, coming in March. I love you, I love you, I love you.

amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment